Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The blessing of GSM

For my birthday this year I asked for an Indian sim card with data on it so that for my 2 month vacation in India I could bring my unlocked cellphone either my Samsung Focus or Nexus One and have internet while there. What I didn't know was the cost.  I thought I'd post the costs to show everyone in America how expensive our data plans really are.
Airtel sim card: 50 rs = $1
2gb of data: 98 rs = $2

I love how its super cheap, compared to $30/month for 2gb.  The only network I have been able to connect to is an Edge network but if I remember when the iPhone first came out, all that was availble was Edge in alaska, so its not that bad. I really have enjoyed it though. I have been able to keep up on my emails and stay online of gtalk so now I have quick and easy communication with most of my friends and mother who loves knowing updates on how unsafe some of my adventures are.
Another huge advantage of having a data connection over here are maps. I don't feel lost ever or like I'm traveling out in the boonies. I just open up maps and I can see exactly where I am. Its great. Sometimes I have to even tell Tamanna how to get places cuz she doesn't even know. Maps is a great tool to have when in a foreign place.

Ok enough about me and my phone craze. I promise to get some cool pictures up of northern india because I have tons!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment